Welcome to the GTP blog
This blog is dedicated to my research on Game Transfer Phenomena (GTP).
My postdoc, the third phase on my research on GTP is funded by Marie Curie COFUND at the University of Liège in Belgium with my mentor professor Frank Larøi.
I have a PhD in Psychology from Nottingham Trent University, UK and my thesis was supervised by professor Mark D. Griffiths.
My Master thesis about GTP was supervised by professor Karin Aronsson at Stockholm University.
My postdoc research on GTP funded by Marie COFUND at the University of Liège has started!
Our eSports in Nordic School (eSportsNS) project at the Centre for the Science of Learning and Technology (SLATE), University of Bergen has started!
31 Oct- Join our conversation on GTP at Digital Human on BBC Radio 4, Episode "Haunted". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080t0p9
April 2016- GTP was covered by Discovery and History Channel news.
Oct 2015 -Nottingham Trent University Press coverage - Potential impact of virtual reality on gamers’ wellbeing to be discussed at the ITAG2015 conference.
June 2015- GTP was featured in the TV series CSI: Cyber. Episode 11 (season 1) ‘Ghost in the machine’.
Feb 2015- The South Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare launched a PSA about gaming addiction based on GTP.
May 2014- I was awarded 1st place at a PhD research award with my research about GTP
Who am I?
- Follow Game Transfer Phenomena on WordPress.com
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
March 30th - The New School for Social Research. New York, USA Talk-Bleeding between the virtual and the real world: The meaning of hallucinatory-like experiences induced by video game playing and their portrayal in media. https://portfolio.newschool.edu/hallucinema/
March 23th, 2017- University of Bergen. Biological and Medical Psychology department. Talk- A broad spectrum of auditory hallucinatory-like experiences with video game content
March 2017- Visiting Bergen University in Norway
Feb 20th, 2017- ICBA 2017, Haifa, Israel "A comparison of visual
intrusions induced by video games and mental disorders" http://icba.mat.org.hu/
January 2017- Visiting the psychology department at Hertfordshire University, UK
January 2017 - Visiting experts on auditory hallucinations "Hearing the Voice" at Durham University, UK
22 September. DEVHR. D.F. Mexico. The Game Transfer Phenomena: Características del juego asociadas con alucinaciones, pensamientos y comportamientos http://www.devhr.mx/
21 September Talk- Dept Biological & Medical Psychology. University of Bergen, Norway
15 Agust. UDEM, Monterrey, Mexico. Game Transfer Phenomena: Cuando los video juegos brincan a tu realidad con alucinaciones, pensamientos y comportamientos involuntarios.
17-22 July. ICOM6. Symposium: Why do songs get stuck in our mind? International conference on memory, Budapest. http://www.icom2016.com/
27-29 June. CYPSY21. "The GTP framework" 21st Annual CyberPsychology, CyberTherapy & Social Networking Conference, Dublin.
May 2016- Visiting SLATE at Bergen University.
16 March. ICBA 2016. Severity levels of GTP. 3nd International Conference on Behavioral Addictions, Geneve. http://www.icba2016.org/
12 Nov. Public seminar- Altered perceptions, automatic mental processes, and behaviours after playing video games. University of Hertfordshire, UK
22 Oct. Talk- Game Transfer Phenomena and the impact of highly immersive gaming technologies. Interactive Technologies and Games Conference 2015
3 Sep. Talk- GTP exploratory survey at Social Networking in Cyberspace conference 2015
17 June. Talk- PubhD Nottingham- Join us
17 April. Talk-"A broad understanding of internet gaming disorder". IV International Congress of Dual Disorders.
Photos from events
“Video games have become a matter of emotional touch, evoking not just sensations but lasting emotive imprints, which hold for the gamer many of the same characteristics as memorable real life experiences” (Ortiz de Gortari, 2007).
“When players see, hear, feel or interpret the real world based on video games’ content, they are recreating, transforming, and aligning elements from the game into the real world ‘puzzle’” (Ortiz de Gortari, 2011).
"GTP shows the rewarding nature of playing and repetition, and the obsessive nature of the brain of reviving a stimulus in it absence" (Ortiz de Gortari, 2013).
Prevalence and Characteristics of Game Transfer Phenomena: A Descriptive Survey Study. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction (2016).
The Game Transfer Phenomena Scale: An instrument for investigating the non-volitional effects of video game playing. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking (2015).
Game Transfer Phenomena and its associated factors: An exploratory empirical online survey study. Computers in Human Behavior (2015).
Auditory Experiences in Game Transfer Phenomena: An Empirical Self-report Study. International Journal of Cyber Behavior, Psychology and Learning (2014).
Automatic Mental Processes, Automatic Actions and Behaviours in Game Transfer Phenomena: An Empirical Self-Report Study Using Online Forum Data.International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction (2014).
Altered visual perception in Game Transfer Phenomena: An empirical self-report study. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction (2014).
An introduction to Game Transfer Phenomena in video game playing. In book: Video Game Play and Consciousness. Nova Science (2012).
Game Transfer Phenomena in Video Game Playing: A Qualitative Interview Study. In book: Evolving Psychological and Educational Perspectives on Cyber Behavior. IGI Global, Editors: R. Zheng, pp.170-189 (2012).
Game Transfer Phenomena in Video Game Playing: A Qualitative Interview Study. International Journal of Cyber Behavior, Psychology and Learning (2011).
Top Posts & Pages
- GTP Adventures- Church towers are dangerous places
- GTP Adventures - Attack command
- Pokémon GO is reviving old memories and creating new ones
- Applying game strategies to real life situations out of the blue
- Game Transfer Phenomena featured on BBC TV
- GTP Adventures- Dance Dance class Revolution!
- VR and colliding realities
- Google Glasses withdrawal: Tech-induced dyskinesia?
- GTP adventures- The faster the better
- BBC radio interview - When game sounds get stuck
- Looking for pilots for a survey on Game Transfer Phenomena
- “Little Nightmares” & Game Transfer Phenomena in Die Zeit
- Book chapter on Game Transfer Phenomena: Beyond the Boundaries of the Game
- Public conference: The intersection of hallucinations & media
- Game Transfer Phenomena in Washington Post’s “The screen age” series
- Proposition de prémémoire/mémoire pour ULg students
- Game Transfer Phenomena is moving to a new home!
- Game Transfer Phenomena in BBC’s Digital Human
- Participate in a survey about Pokémon Go!
- Talk: Game Transfer Phenomena- Foro Internacional del Juego (DEVHR6)
- Game Transfer Phenomena: The Original AR!?
- Game Transfer Phenomenon en DEVHR
- Seminar on Game Transfer Phenomena at UDEM
- What characterize those with severe Game Transfer Phenomena?
- Game transfer Phenomena after playing Pokémon video games
- Pokémon GO is reviving old memories and creating new ones
- New study published: Severe Game Transfer Phenomena
- CyPsy21 Conference in Dublin
- My research on Game Transfer Phenomena has reached a new phase!
- GTP in the newspaper El Norte- Vida (México)